non-language-specific compiler compilers

lac@totalise.co.uk (Lewis)
30 Jan 2002 20:44:06 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
non-language-specific compiler compilers lac@totalise.co.uk (2002-01-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: lac@totalise.co.uk (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Jan 2002 20:44:06 -0500
Posted-Date: 30 Jan 2002 20:44:06 EST

I'Ve Created A Mediocre Compiler For My Own Language Using Flex &
Bison. Now I Want To Write A Better Compiler For The Same Language
Actually In The Target Language (So That It Can Bootstrap).

The Problem Is That Flex & Bison Output Is Specific For C. Obviously I
Can Rip The Dfa Tables But There Are Subtleties In The Way The Tables
Are Parsed Which Makes It Tricky To Rewrite The Accompanying Code. The
Skeleton Source File Is Pretty Illegible And I'M Not Good At Figuring
Out Other People'S Source.

Does Anyone Have Experience Of This Problem And/Or Any Advice? In
Particular If There Is A Regex Compiler Which Is More Easily Ported To
Different Languages.