Re: Are there any tools that can compare two source files

rickh@capaccess.org (Rick Hohensee)
17 Jan 2002 00:34:20 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Are there any tools that can compare two source files satyanandam_g@hotmail.com (2001-12-07)
Re: Are there any tools that can compare two source files sarath_kumar@mentorg.com (Sarath Kumar) (2001-12-15)
Re: Are there any tools that can compare two source files RLWatkins@CompuServe.Com (R. L. Watkins) (2001-12-20)
Re: Are there any tools that can compare two source files rickh@capaccess.org (2002-01-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: rickh@capaccess.org (Rick Hohensee)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Jan 2002 00:34:20 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Jan 2002 00:34:20 EST

"R. L. Watkins" <RLWatkins@CompuServe.Com> wrote in message news:01-12-103...
> It seems that SG might be looking for something less than a test of
> semantic equivalence. "Syntactic equivalence" might be determined by
> turning both programs into ASTs to which some normalization rules
> could be applied before comparison.
>
> > > I am looking for some tool which is more than simple text diff. I am

At gatekeeper.dec.com in the old comp.sources.unix stuff,
from the 29 meg index file of the site...
86.12.01 00:00 19k /pub/usenet/comp.sources.unix/volume3/sim.Z
86.12.01 00:00 6k /pub/usenet/comp.sources.unix/volume4/sim2.Z

Which I had looked at a while ago, so I have this handy...

echo Extracting \R\E\A\D\_\M\E
sed 's/^X//' > \R\E\A\D\_\M\E << '+ END-OF-FILE '\R\E\A\D\_\M\E
XSat Jan 11 15:47:16 1986
XThis program tests for similar (or equal) stretches in one or more C-programs.
XSee sim.1
XTo compile, call "make", which will generate one executable called sim, and
Xwill run two small tests to show sample output.
XTo install, examine the Makefile and reset BINDIR and MANDIR to sensible
Xpaths, and call "make install"
XTo change the default run size or the page width, adjust the file params.h
Xand recompile.
XTo add another language X, write a file X.l along the lines of clang.l,
Xextend the Makefile and recompile. All knowledge about C in located in
Xclang.l; the rest of the programs expect each C lexical unit to be a single
Xcharacter.
X Dick Grune
X Vrije Universiteit
X de Boelelaan 1081