Re: a compembler for x86 that looks nearly portable

rickh@capaccess.org (Rick Hohensee)
17 Jan 2002 00:33:48 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
a compembler for x86 that looks nearly portable rickh@capaccess.org (2002-01-07)
Re: a compembler for x86 that looks nearly portable RLWatkins@CompuServe.Com (R. L. Watkins) (2002-01-13)
Re: a compembler for x86 that looks nearly portable rickh@capaccess.org (2002-01-17)
Re: a compembler for x86 that looks nearly portable RLWatkins@CompuServe.Com (R. L. Watkins) (2002-01-24)
Re: a compembler for x86 that looks nearly portable rickh@capaccess.org (2002-01-28)
Re: a compembler for x86 that looks nearly portable david.thompson1@worldnet.att.net (David Thompson) (2002-02-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: rickh@capaccess.org (Rick Hohensee)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Jan 2002 00:33:48 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Jan 2002 00:33:48 EST

"R. L. Watkins" <RLWatkins@CompuServe.Com> wrote in message news:02-01-043...
> 1) Interesting. Sounds a bit like 'B' w/ built-in system calls.

Thanks so much.
B was where Ken Thompson almost independantly designed Forth,
from what I see on Ritchie's webpage. It was a threaded-code
interpreter, and I think it had a parameter stack _internally_.
osimplay's "entrance" routine frames are a parameter stack in
Flatland, i.e on the one return stack, and strongly resemble
what the BCPL compiler does vis-a-vis copy-on-write parameter
passing, except that in osimplay you do it by hand.

I remain lower-level than BCPL or Forth in that I don't do
the usual flow-control abstractions, which BCPL was quite
enthused about.

The point I personally want to repeat in groups such as this
is that the 386 might be a superset of a useful portable
virtual machine. If you look at osimplay source, the 386-ness
is not often evident.

Rick Hohensee
rickh@capaccess.org