Compiler Bugs, please!

"F. Liekweg" <liekweg@ipd.info.uni-karlsruhe.de>
20 Dec 2001 00:35:39 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler Bugs, please! liekweg@ipd.info.uni-karlsruhe.de (F. Liekweg) (2001-12-20)
Re: Compiler Bugs, please! loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de (Martin von Loewis) (2001-12-22)
Re: Compiler Bugs, please! fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (2001-12-24)
Re: Compiler Bugs, please! toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl (Toon Moene) (2001-12-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "F. Liekweg" <liekweg@ipd.info.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Dec 2001 00:35:39 -0500
Posted-Date: 20 Dec 2001 00:35:39 EST

Hi, everybody,

    Yes, I know that most of You are busy making compilers better (or
making better compilers :-). And we all can do with less bugs, be it
in compilers or in any other piece of software, BUT:

    I am interested in learning about compiler bugs. The 'My compiler
crashes when trying to do [...] feature' kind of thing is probably
known to everybody; but what about the more obscure kind, like the
FORTRAN (or BASIC) compilers which allowed one to assign a value to a
constant (check out the RISKS Digest 12.39, Subj. 2.1)? Are there
more incidents like this? A compiler producing a valid binary which
shows some unexpected behaviour when executed, because of a
misconception on the side of the compiler (or its writer :-) on the
language spec, or on the target architecture? What happened when a
portable compiler _was_ actually ported to compile to a new platform?
What about optimisations producing 'interesting' results?

NB, my most recent addition to my collection is at:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/hes-11.11.01-000/

    Huh, many questions. May I ask that You mail contributions to me
directly, so that I can create a summary?

TIA, Yours,
-- Florian
Florian Liekweg | RISC: (abbr.) "Reject Important Stuff
IPD Universität Karlsruhe | into Compiler"; see also: CISC