Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation?

joshualevy@yahoo.com (Joshua Levy)
3 Dec 2001 20:27:06 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Reference source for C-compiler validation? jbredno@yahoo.de (2001-11-05)
Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation? joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-11-08)
Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation? loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de (Martin von Loewis) (2001-11-08)
Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation? axel@dtone.org (Axel Kittenberger) (2001-11-08)
Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation? zackw@panix.com (Zack Weinberg) (2001-11-08)
Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation? nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2001-11-08)
Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation? ceco@no_smap_jupiter.com (Tzvetan Mikov) (2001-11-08)
Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation? joshualevy@yahoo.com (2001-12-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: joshualevy@yahoo.com (Joshua Levy)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Dec 2001 20:27:06 -0500
Posted-Date: 03 Dec 2001 20:27:06 EST

"Tzvetan Mikov" <ceco@no_smap_jupiter.com> wrote in message news:01-11-062...
> > Plum Hall: http://www.plumhall.com/suites.html
> > Perennial: http://www.peren.com/pages/cvsa_set.htm
> Does anyone have an approximate idea how expensive those are? There is
> no information on the websites (at least I couldn't find it) and
> didn't dare to e-mail their sales just to satisfy my silly curiosity.

At a previous company, we bought both of these, and I was amazed at
how cheap they were. I think they were both in the tens of thousands
of US dollars. (ie ?0,000 US$). At the time, I thought developing a
similar set of tests would take a couple of person years, so it was a
good deal. If I had to pinch pennies, I'd only get one of them. But
if you're goal is high quality software, get both.

> Another question: how effective are these suites? I mean, ANSI C/C++
> compliance problems are found in compilers all the time and I would
> assume that at least the major vendors can afford to buy the test
> suite.

I think they will find dozens, if not hundreds of bugs in your parser,
so the cost is maybe $1000, but more likely, $100 per bug. Cheap,
IMHO. That fact that people ship compilers with bugs, does not mean
that commercial compiler test suites are not cost effective.

> Also, are the suites attempting to validate the generated code

I don't remember. We didn't generate code, so didn't care about that
part.

> - I realize that this is very difficult and probably unrealistic to
> expect, but as the initial poster suggested, they could run "an
> algorithm with known results so that the validity of the created
> executable can be tested". Do you have an idea whether such a test
> would be useful in practice at all (beyond the very first stages of
> validating a compiler)?

Is this just running programs compiled by your compiler as part of the
test suite, and making sure that when run, they produce the expected
output?

Joshua Levy