Re: Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted

joshualevy@yahoo.com (Joshua Levy)
3 Dec 2001 20:26:20 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted zhester@enetis.net (Zac Hester) (2001-11-29)
Re: Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted joshualevy@yahoo.com (2001-12-03)
Re: Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted rweaver@ix.netcom.com (Dick Weaver) (2001-12-08)
Re: Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted JeffKenton@mediaone.net (Jeff Kenton) (2002-01-03)
Re: Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted donalies@adelphia.net (michelle) (2002-02-06)
Re: Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted aschwarz@acm.org (2002-03-09)
Re: Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted dr_feriozi@prodigy.net (SLK Parsers) (2002-03-17)
Re: Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted math@planetp.org (Math Stuff) (2002-04-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: joshualevy@yahoo.com (Joshua Levy)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Dec 2001 20:26:20 -0500
Posted-Date: 03 Dec 2001 20:26:20 EST

"Zac Hester" <zhester@enetis.net> wrote in message news:01-11-138...
> I would really like to see some of the historical solutions to
> building compilers from the ground up. I'm also desperately
> interested in modern techniques (heavy use of OOP).

An interesting question. I hope someone makes an FAQ out of the
answers, but I don't have time, myself. Sigh.

I nominate the following papers to the 'compiler historical papers collection':

REFLECTIONS ON TRUSTING TRUST by Ken Thompson, part of
ACM TURING AWARD LECTURES published by ACM PRESS.

I also have read a great article by John Backus on the design of FORTRAN.
It might have been published in a SIGPLAN special issue on the history
of compiler development.

I have also read a good description of the history of the AWK programming
language, but (again) I can't remember where it was published.

Sorry that none of these deal with OOP directly, but they're all I have.

Joshua Levy