Re: History of code completion

neelk@alum.mit.edu (Neelakantan Krishnaswami)
11 Nov 2001 23:17:05 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: History of code completion lhp+news@toft-hp.dk (2001-10-23)
Re: History of code completion gzw@home.com (Geoff Wozniak) (2001-10-27)
Re: History of code completion marcov@toad.stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2001-11-05)
Re: History of code completion genew@mail.ocis.net (2001-11-08)
Re: History of code completion binary@eton.powernet.co.uk (Richard Heathfield) (2001-11-08)
Re: History of code completion lex@cc.gatech.edu (Lex Spoon) (2001-11-08)
Re: History of code completion neelk@alum.mit.edu (2001-11-11)
Re: History of code completion rbates@southwind.net (Rodney M. Bates) (2001-11-11)
Re: History of code completion joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-11-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: neelk@alum.mit.edu (Neelakantan Krishnaswami)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.programming
Date: 11 Nov 2001 23:17:05 -0500
Posted-Date: 11 Nov 2001 23:17:05 EST

On 8 Nov 2001 23:21:44 -0500, Lex Spoon <lex@cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
>genew@mail.ocis.net (Gene Wirchenko) writes:
>> I can do it myself. ...
>> It depends on the language, but I expect theoretical limitations
>> bite often. Compiler preprocessors probably raise much havoc with
>> such editors.
>
> Good point -- C is hard to support in a system like this, in the
> fully general case. Then again, I'm sure there is a large subset of
> preprocessor usage that *could* be supported, if only people
> bothered.

Lisp systems are pretty good about tracking macros and macro
expansions, so I don't think that it's an insurmountable problem.
About the only major annoyance is that teaching Emacs to indent new
macro-created syntax is a PITA. The <bigwig> language has an
interesting solution to this gripe: they specify indentation hints
(via special comments) as part of the macro definition, so that
editors and pretty-printers can correctly format macros.

    http://www.brics.dk/bigwig

Neel
[C macros are hard because you can (and people do) mess around with
statement and expression bracketing. In one infamous case, Steve
Bourne originally wrote the Bourne shell with a bunch of macros to
make C look just like Algol68, with definitions like THEN mapping to
") {" which is perfectly valid but kind of hard to teach to a syntax
editor. -John]