Old flex desperately needed (or Ebcdic port)

Daniel Pfeiffer <occitan@esperanto.org>
10 Oct 2001 15:48:18 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Old flex desperately needed (or Ebcdic port) occitan@esperanto.org (Daniel Pfeiffer) (2001-10-10)
Re: Old flex desperately needed (or Ebcdic port) nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2001-10-12)
Re: Old flex desperately needed (or Ebcdic port) engel@informatik.uni-siegen.de (Michael Engel) (2001-10-12)
Re: Old flex desperately needed (or Ebcdic port) rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers) (2001-10-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Daniel Pfeiffer <occitan@esperanto.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Oct 2001 15:48:18 -0400
Posted-Date: 10 Oct 2001 15:48:18 EDT

Hi,

The flex source contains a required file (scan.l) to be compiled by
flex itself. Since you cannot do this before building flex, a
compiled version is included too. However all generated code and
tables therein are for Ascii and would look different if it were
flexed on an Posix-compliant Ebcdic mainframe.

In the flex distribution there's a port to MVS consisting of
modifications concerning file names and short symbol names which are
not important on our mainframe (Fujitsu Siemens BS2000). Then a few
minor code fixes where some Asciites thought that everything from A -
Z isupper(). And most importantly there is an Ebcdic output of
scan.l, which alas is totally useless since it corresponds to a
seemingly 10 year old version 2.3.6.

It is totally useless, because it doesn't come near to working with
the current version. And no version before 2.4.2 is to be found on
the internet! And even then there are two missing diffs on the GNU
mirrors before 2.5.1 so the older diffs cannot even be applied.
PLEASE send me pointers (URL, CVS, mail me the sources...) to this old
version 2.3.6, and all versions since, so I can incrementally work up
to the current version.

Thank you very much in advance!
Daniel