Re: Looking for scripting suggestions

Fabrice Medio <fmfab@chez.com>
15 Aug 2001 01:44:40 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Looking for scripting suggestions erictetz@yahoo.com (Eric Tetz) (2001-08-02)
Re: Looking for scripting suggestions george.goffe@seagate.com (2001-08-02)
Re: Looking for scripting suggestions jimbo@radiks.net (2001-08-02)
Re: Looking for scripting suggestions joshualevy@yahoo.com (2001-08-02)
Re: Looking for scripting suggestions Ron@Profit-Master.com (Ron Pinkas) (2001-08-02)
Re: Looking for scripting suggestions plakal-nospam@nospam-cs.wisc.edu (Manoj Plakal) (2001-08-08)
Re: Looking for scripting suggestions fmfab@chez.com (Fabrice Medio) (2001-08-15)
Re: Looking for scripting suggestions gbs@k9haven.com (George B. Smith) (2001-08-24)
Re: Looking for scripting suggestions erictetz@yahoo.com (Eric Tetz) (2001-09-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Fabrice Medio <fmfab@chez.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Aug 2001 01:44:40 -0400
Posted-Date: 15 Aug 2001 01:44:40 EDT

ev@hysar.frmul.com (Spam MeNot) writes:

> I'm looking for a scripting library that can be embedded in an
> application. What I want is fairly simple, but difficult to locate.
>
> First, the syntax has to be simple and comfortable. I need for
> non-programmers to be able to generate these simple scripts.

OK for this particular constraint.

> Second, the language should be non-typed. This makes it easier for
> new users to pickup.
>
> Next, and this one is a bit strange, I don't want it able to do a
> great deal of processing. The idea is that these scripts could do
> simple conditional checks and validations on data entry, but any
> serious processing would be delegated to a remote service.

Did you think about Lisp-ish languages, most probably Scheme, to
fulfill this task ? Weak typing, extremely simple syntax and a very
small memory footprint makes it a scripting language of choice.

> Also, it needs to be embeddable and simply extendable. I will be
> wanting to add access to certain functions in the host environment
> that the script is running in. The main application is written in
> C/C++.

There are many free Scheme implementation written in C, many of them
being specifically targetted at being extension/scripting
language. The GNU Guile project may in the spirit of what you're
looking for (see http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/)

> Finally, it should be small. I'm not looking for a "DO EVERYTHING"
> type language.

Funny enough, some small (and canonical) Scheme implementations fit in
2000 lines of C code. You might even want to write it yourself :)

Fabrice
--
Fabrice Medio
<fmfab@chez.com>