Re: -Bsymbolic for exactly one symbol.

Shankar Unni <shankarunni@earthlink.net>
15 Aug 2001 01:44:15 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
-Bsymbolic for exactly one symbol. vugluskr@unicorn.math.spbu.ru (2001-08-08)
Re: -Bsymbolic for exactly one symbol. jfc@mit.edu (2001-08-08)
Re: -Bsymbolic for exactly one symbol. ian@airs.com (Ian Lance Taylor) (2001-08-15)
Re: -Bsymbolic for exactly one symbol. shankarunni@earthlink.net (Shankar Unni) (2001-08-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Shankar Unni <shankarunni@earthlink.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Aug 2001 01:44:15 -0400
Posted-Date: 15 Aug 2001 01:44:15 EDT

Basically, you want to have classes in a shared library and in a
program that are really different, but just share a name.

It's extremely difficult to do this in a portable way in the way that
you are attempting to do it, but there's a simple answer, of course,
for C++: *use namespaces*.

Even if you don't have control over one of them (say, the shared
library, or the program), you can certainly put the other one inside a
unique namespace.

It's especially vital to do this for shared libraries, which can be used
in a variety of applications, where you can't depend on someone not
whomping over your naming convention and accidentally reusing one of
"your" names.