Re: Is the dangling else a syntax bug?

stephen_bevan@yahoo.com (Stephen J. Bevan)
6 Aug 2001 04:00:14 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Is the dangling else a syntax bug? wb@vestein.arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de (2001-07-30)
Re: Is the dangling else a syntax bug? mike@dimmick.demon.co.uk (Mike Dimmick) (2001-07-30)
Re: Is the dangling else a syntax bug? wclodius@aol.com (2001-07-30)
Re: Is the dangling else a syntax bug? joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-07-30)
Re: Is the dangling else a syntax bug? marcov@toad.stack.nl (2001-08-02)
Re: Is the dangling else a syntax bug? vbdis@aol.com (2001-08-02)
Re: Is the dangling else a syntax bug? stephen_bevan@yahoo.com (2001-08-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: stephen_bevan@yahoo.com (Stephen J. Bevan)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Aug 2001 04:00:14 -0400
Posted-Date: 06 Aug 2001 04:00:14 EDT

vbdis@aol.com (VBDis) writes:
> wclodius@aol.com (Wclodius) schreibt:
> The "appropriate" number of space characters (to be defined!) IMO
> makes tabs the better choice for indentation. One tab - one level of
> indentation.
>
> As you mentioned already, a system-wide definition for the tab width
> will cure possible problems in printing, and encourages all tools to
> use that user-definable value.

Perhaps but if you have multiple systems (code bases) which use
different tab widths then you have to keep flipping back and forth.
For example in my current project there is a combination of company
written and third party code that means there are 6 distinct C styles
and 3 different tab widths (2, 4, 8). Most of this can be programmed
around in a decent editor, though it would be much easier if there
were no tabs and so nothing to program around.

However as soon as the code escapes your environment then the problems
begin. For example, if you email it to someone, the only way they
know what the tab width is if you tell them for each file or group of
files what the width is. Similarly when you print the files you have
to be careful to tell the printer what the width is for each file or
group of files -- I have use shell script wrappers but I still
occasionally use the wrong one with disgusting results. Again it
would be simpler if there were no tabs.
[I think this argument is done now. -John]