Re: ANNOUNCE: Tiny, a parser generator for context sensitive grammars

"Maurice Gittens" <maurice@gittens.nl>
2 Aug 2001 02:33:59 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ANNOUNCE: Tiny, a parser generator for context sensitive grammars maurice@gittens.nl (Maurice Gittens) (2001-07-23)
Re: ANNOUNCE: Tiny, a parser generator for context sensitive gram eodell@c1220335-a.potlnd1.or.home.com (2001-07-27)
Re: ANNOUNCE: Tiny, a parser generator for context sensitive gr maurice@gittens.nl (Maurice Gittens) (2001-08-02)
Re: ANNOUNCE: Tiny, a parser generator for context sensitive grammars danwang+news@cs.princeton.edu (Daniel C. Wang) (2001-08-06)
Re: ANNOUNCE: Tiny, a parser generator for context sensitive gramma mike@dimmick.demon.co.uk (Mike Dimmick) (2001-08-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Maurice Gittens" <maurice@gittens.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Aug 2001 02:33:59 -0400
Posted-Date: 02 Aug 2001 02:33:58 EDT

> I dusted off my very rusty set theory and took a look at your paper, which
> is indeed interesting. However, I was wondering if you could give some
> examples of the sorts of constructs that are possible with dotted grammars
> which aren't possible (or are exceedingly difficult) in ordinary LALR
> grammars?

This is an interesting question. LALR(1) grammars have proven to
allow the generation of parsers for many languages used in practice.

Is this because we tailor the languages we use to the possibilities of
parser generators commonly used or is this because LALR(1) grammars
are some how "good" enough for every day needs.

To say the truth, I don't really now.

If we tailor the languages to the possibilities of the LALR(k) parser
generators then I don't think there are many constructs I could give
as an answer to you question.

If however one would have _languages_ which are not LALR(k) then, in
the context of such languages, I would guess it would be possible to
provide an answer to your question.

So, how about providing some "problem constructs" for LALR(k)
grammars and I'll try to come up with solutions based on
dotted grammars :-) .

Cheers,
Maurice.