Re: LR(1) Parser Generator

Tim Josling <tej@melbpc.org.au>
23 Jul 2001 02:22:55 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LR(1) Parser Generator tej@melbpc.org.au (Tim Josling) (2001-07-17)
Re: LR(1) Parser Generator marcov@toad.stack.nl (2001-07-18)
Re: LR(1) Parser Generator vmakarov@redhat.com (Vladimir Makarov) (2001-07-18)
Re: LR(1) Parser Generator mike@dimmick.demon.co.uk (Mike Dimmick) (2001-07-18)
Re: LR(1) Parser Generator tej@melbpc.org.au (Tim Josling) (2001-07-23)
Re: LR(1) Parser Generator haberg@matematik.su.se (2001-07-23)
Re: LR(1) Parser Generator david@tribble.com (David R Tribble) (2001-07-23)
Re: LR(1) Parser Generator cotemark@globetrotter.net (Mark) (2001-07-23)
Re: LR(1) Parser Generator thp@cs.ucr.edu (2001-07-30)
Re: LR(1) Parser Generator soenke.kannapinn@wincor-nixdorf.com (Sönke Kannapinn) (2001-08-02)
Re: LR(1) Parser Generator tej@melbpc.org.au (Tim Josling) (2001-08-06)

From: Tim Josling <tej@melbpc.org.au>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Jul 2001 02:22:55 -0400
Posted-Date: 23 Jul 2001 02:22:55 EDT

Mike,

Yes I am getting R/R conflicts, or as the bison manual calls them
'mysterious reduce reduce conflicts'. I then have to try and work
out what is causing them and add some extra bits to the grammar.
Normally this involves flattening out the grammar and duplicating
large slabs of it. Alternatively I have to accept some generic
common grammar and hard code checking to make sure they did not
use the wrong constructs in the wrong places.

I am pretty confident the conflicts are spurious, and that LR(1)
will fix the problem.

If all else fails I will write an LR(1) patch for bison and
report the results here. Unfortunately bison is very tersely
documented.

According to my benchmarks the parse is only 5% of gcc
compilation time, so even a 40% increase would not be a big deal
especially given that I would be spending less time scratching my
head about mysterious conflicts and more time developing my
compiler. The dragon book also mentions the 5% figure.

The stats about LALR being smaller than LR are based on the
assumption that the grammar is LALR to start with. If you have to
add hacks to shoehorn it into LALR then the difference would be
smaller though still significant.

Also if you just use a hash table for the parse table the logic
will actually be a lot simpler - no need for 'check tables' etc
etc. That is the LALR parser has various space/time tradeoffs
that slow it down and this can also be balanced against the time
taken for hashing. The hashing can actually be pretty simple. The
key is just state+symbol which is easily hashed by divide by
constant prime. And good compilers convert constant divides into
less expensive operations.

Tim Josling