64-bit clean (Runtime Libraries/System)

marcov@toad.stack.nl (Marco van de Voort)
21 Jun 2001 03:09:39 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
64-bit clean (Runtime Libraries/System) marcov@toad.stack.nl (2001-06-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: marcov@toad.stack.nl (Marco van de Voort)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Jun 2001 03:09:39 -0400
Posted-Date: 21 Jun 2001 03:09:39 EDT

I've been pretty much an intel only person, who has some clue about
applications/RTS implementations being 64-bit clean (and platform
independance ), but always from a somewhat practical view.

Does somebody know a good (preferably internet based) source that
covers the principles and theory of such design in an abstract way
(iow not entirely from a C perspective) ?

The reason I ask this is because I participate in a Pascal compiler
project which until now has been pretty much i386-only, but is now
increasingly gearing towards implementing other platforms. I'm
currently doing some minor till medium /design of parts of the runtime
library, and it would be very nice to combine that redesigning with
making the RTS nearly platform independant, and, more important,
allowing platform independant code to be written.