Re: Microcode - generators , compilers

"Scott David Daniels" <Scott.Daniels@Acm.Org>
14 Jun 2001 00:27:34 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Microcode - generators , compilers itanium@kki.net.pl (kiksik) (2001-06-07)
Re: Microcode - generators , compilers Scott.Daniels@Acm.Org (Scott David Daniels) (2001-06-14)
Re: Microcode - generators , compilers rpgurd@archelon.com (Preston Gurd) (2001-06-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Scott David Daniels" <Scott.Daniels@Acm.Org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Jun 2001 00:27:34 -0400
Posted-Date: 14 Jun 2001 00:27:34 EDT

I don't have any good pointers, but perhaps can inspire someone who
does (I tried Google and ACM Digital Library unsuccessfully). The
Foonly corp. (RIP) used a microcode assembler/compiler named "SLOE"
that did code placement on address patterns, and allowed you to
associate names with particular bit patterns that included on, off,
and don't-care. microcode could be put together as long as there were
no conflicts over bits. This latter allowed you to define constraints
by inventing some bits that did nothing more than conflict when
incompatible things were done in the whole operation. Those extra
conflict-resolving bits were called "ghost bits". I would bet the
thing came out of the Stanford AI Lab (or at least from discussions
that originated there), since the two original founders of Foonly came
from there. If you can find SLOE from either Stanford, MIT, or CMU
(or even some references to "ghost bits" that look at all about VLIW),
you may be wandering on to the right track.

-Scott David Daniels