JavaCC vs SableCC vs CUP vs GMD

Roger Keays <s354157@student.uq.edu.au>
21 May 2001 02:06:26 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
JavaCC vs SableCC vs CUP vs GMD s354157@student.uq.edu.au (Roger Keays) (2001-05-21)
Re: JavaCC vs SableCC vs CUP vs GMD bekuehl@uos.de (Bernd K=?ISO-8859-1?B?/A==?=hl) (2001-05-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Roger Keays <s354157@student.uq.edu.au>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.compilers.tools.javacc
Date: 21 May 2001 02:06:26 -0400
Posted-Date: 21 May 2001 02:06:26 EDT

Hi,

Is there any consenus as to which is the best Java-producing parser
generator?

>From what I've read and tried so far it seems that:

Sable has these good points:
      - Bottom up
      - Action code in separate class
      - Don't have to generate tree
      - elegant error handling
      - GNU
but these bad points:
      - Very strict AST (seems to defeat the whole point of bottom up parsing)
      - how can you do semantic checks on the fly? e.g declaration before use?

JavaCC ::= <Good Points>*
      - Flexible tree building
      - popular
(Bad Points)+
      - Top-down
      - Proprietry

Note on javacc: I downloaded the latest release (v2.0), but the jjtree
preprocessor doesn't seem to work properly. It makes references to a
method setName(..) which it never includes in the nodes it
generates. This only happens in MULTI mode.

Haven't touched CUP.. Is it good?

GMD Suite seems pretty powerful, but it's a combination of a whole lot of
fiddly tools. It does allow arbitrary tree construction though, and it is
bottom up.

What does everyone think?

Regards,

Roger