Re: C++ Grammar - Update

Michael Spencer <michael_spencer@btclick.com>
13 May 2001 01:14:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

From: Michael Spencer <michael_spencer@btclick.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.compilers.tools.pccts
Date: 13 May 2001 01:14:02 -0400
Posted-Date: 13 May 2001 01:14:02 EDT

> conflict, as for the first we get
>
> decl-specifiers = 'int'
> declarator = 'i'
> initialiser(constant-expression) = '0'
>
> and the second
>
> decl-specifiers = 'virtual int'
> declarator = 'i()'
> initialiser(pure-specifier) = '0'
>
> But the parser can't tell, without using context information, that a
> virtual function is being declared. This is because 'virtual' is just
> a decl-specifier, it isn't a different form of declaration in its own
> right. The second could equally be written
>
> int virtual i() = 0;
>
> with the same semantic meaning. Therefore pure-specifier and
> constant-expression conflict, and the only thing to do is to perform
> resolution at a later stage.

One trick you might consider: don't use the virtual specifier to
interpret the '= 0'. Instead, write two forms of a declarator:

    declarator -> object-declarator
    declarator -> function-declarator

Then '= 0' (or '= expr' really) following an object declarator is an
initializer, and '= 0' following a function declarator is a pure
specifier. You can check later that the virtual specifier is used
with the the pure specifier.

This also makes it easy to enforce the declarator rule in function
definitions (from 8.4p1 in the C++ Standard):

    The declarator in a function-definition shall have the form
        D1 ( parameter-declaration-clause ) cv-qualifier-seq-opt exception-specification-opt

Just write your function definition rule with the function declarator.

But the grammar is a bit more complicated. The rules have to be
written so that when object-declarator and function-declarator are
used together no conflicts arise. Here's my very stripped down
version of the grammar (very simple BNF, tokens in upper case):

    # start rule
    start -> dcl

    # declarator (object with initializer, function with pure specifier)
    dcl -> obj-dcl ASGN ZERO
    dcl -> func-dcl ASGN ZERO

    # object declarator
    obj-dcl -> obj-a-dcl

    obj-a-dcl -> ptr-oper obj-a-dcl
    obj-a-dcl -> obj-a-direct-dcl

    obj-b-dcl -> ptr-oper obj-a-dcl
    obj-b-dcl -> obj-b-direct-dcl

    obj-a-direct-dcl -> obj-b-direct-dcl
    obj-a-direct-dcl -> obj-dcl-id

    obj-b-direct-dcl -> obj-b-direct-dcl LPAREN RPAREN
    obj-b-direct-dcl -> obj-a-direct-dcl LBRACK RBRACK
    obj-b-direct-dcl -> LPAREN obj-b-dcl RPAREN

    obj-dcl-id -> obj-id
    obj-dcl-id -> LPAREN obj-dcl-id RPAREN

    # function declarator
    func-dcl -> ptr-oper func-dcl
    func-dcl -> func-a-direct-dcl

    func-a-direct-dcl -> func-b-direct-dcl LPAREN RPAREN
    func-a-direct-dcl -> func-a-direct-dcl LPAREN RPAREN
    func-a-direct-dcl -> func-a-direct-dcl LBRACK RBRACK
    func-a-direct-dcl -> LPAREN func-dcl RPAREN

    func-b-direct-dcl -> obj-dcl-id
    func-b-direct-dcl -> func-dcl-id

    func-dcl-id -> func-id
    func-dcl-id -> LPAREN func-dcl-id RPAREN

    obj-id -> IDENT
    func-id -> OPERATOR

    # pointer operator
    ptr-oper -> TIMES

Here, func-id is just OPERATOR ... this is just a placeholder for
operator and conversion function names, and dtors and ctors. ptr-oper
is also very simplified. And, all non-relevant nonterminals in the
direct declarator I removed.

This grammar is LR(1). 46 states
(http://home.clara.net/mikespencer/dcl_states.txt).

(This grammar also enforces function declarator syntax with function
names.)

Mike
http://www.lazycplusplus.com