Re: Deterministic compilers

Christian Bau <christian.bau@isltd.insignia.com>
7 May 2001 23:15:57 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Deterministic compilers o.myrk@aprote.com (Oleg Mürk) (2001-05-03)
Re: Deterministic compilers world!bobduff@uunet.uu.net (Robert A Duff) (2001-05-07)
Re: Deterministic compilers christian.bau@isltd.insignia.com (Christian Bau) (2001-05-07)
Re: Deterministic compilers jsgray@acm.org (Jan Gray) (2001-05-07)
Re: Deterministic compilers walter@digitalmars.com (walter) (2001-05-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Christian Bau <christian.bau@isltd.insignia.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 May 2001 23:15:57 -0400
Posted-Date: 07 May 2001 23:15:56 EDT

"Oleg Mürk" wrote:
> I've got a strange question: are contemporary compilers (for C++ or Java)
> deterministic?
> I.e. produce the same result every time they get the same source code,
> switches, environment, libraries etc. I would assume for instance that
> optimization might be non-deterministic...

As an example, I have seen one compiler which did some optimisations
requiring lots of memory at compile time. Run the compiler with more or
with less memory, and certain optimisations will be done or not done. So
the compiled code depends on how much memory is available to the
compiler (at least that's what the documentation said).