Re: What does it take to create a GCC machine description for a new processor ?

"Joris van der Geer" <jgeer@agere.com>
27 Mar 2001 23:33:26 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What does it take to create a GCC machine description for a new proces jgeer@agere.com (Joris van der Geer) (2001-03-22)
Re: What does it take to create a GCC machine description for a new pr jgeer@agere.com (Joris van der Geer) (2001-03-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Joris van der Geer" <jgeer@agere.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Mar 2001 23:33:26 -0500
Posted-Date: 27 Mar 2001 23:33:26 EST

To address John's remark: the target machine has more or less an
accumulator architecture. The instruction set is quite irregular, with
a large, indirectly accessible register file, and few directly
accessible registers. It has a pipeline without interlock, just like
the MIPS. It is a 16 bit embedded controller.

Since code size and speed is quite important, I am concerned about how
GCC will perform register allocation given the indirectly accessible
register file (operands have to be moved between the few directly
accessile registers and register file with an explicit instruction).

Joris