Re: ANN: Release of "Knit" component composition toolset

Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu>
23 Feb 2001 00:07:06 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C Linker/Compiler question frgirard@globetrotter.net (Francis Girard) (2000-04-20)
Re: C Linker/Compiler question eeide@cs.utah.edu (Eric Eide) (2000-05-04)
ANN: Release of "Knit" component composition toolset lepreau@cs.utah.edu (Jay Lepreau) (2001-02-17)
Re: ANN: Release of "Knit" component composition toolset eeide@cs.utah.edu (Eric Eide) (2001-02-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Feb 2001 00:07:06 -0500
Posted-Date: 23 Feb 2001 00:07:06 EST

"Jay" == Jay Lepreau <lepreau@cs.utah.edu> writes:

Jay> The University of Utah's Flux Research Group announces the first
Jay> release of the "Knit" component composition toolset. Knit is a
Jay> new component definition and linking language which can be used
Jay> with C and assembly code. [...] http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/knit/

Just a minor followup to this announcement.

Back in April/May 2000, there was a `comp.compilers' thread entitled
``C Linker/Compiler question'' about various C linker tricks. In that thread,
I wrote about our ``C plus Units'' system that could be used to accomplish some
of the linker tricks being discussed:

Eric> In particular, we are developing a ``component'' model for C code
Eric> [...]
Eric>
Eric> A technical report describing C plus Units and some initial
Eric> applications of the system will be available soon; when it is
Eric> published, I will send an announcement to this newsgroup.

Knit is the new name for the system that we used to call ``C plus Units.''

The above-mentioned technical report about Knit was published at OSDI 2000.
Copies of the paper are available from the Knit Web pages (see URL above) and
from the USENIX Web site.

Eric.

Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu> . University of Utah School of Computing
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~eeide/ . +1 (801) 585-5512 voice, +1 (801) 581-5843 FAX