Re: DWARF debugging info

Fausto Fabbioni <fabbioni@freelance.it>
18 Jan 2001 01:10:30 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
DWARF debugging info russellrquinn@my-deja.com (2000-10-26)
Re: DWARF debugging info yedema@natlab.research.philips.com (Wim Yedema) (2000-10-31)
Re: DWARF debugging info fabbioni@freelance.it (Fausto Fabbioni) (2001-01-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Fausto Fabbioni <fabbioni@freelance.it>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Jan 2001 01:10:30 -0500
Posted-Date: 18 Jan 2001 01:10:30 EST

> > I have the DWARF 2 spec sheet, but am looking for a simple guide.

> It may be useful to start with dwarf 1 in order to familiarize
> yourself with the DWARF world.

It is a good point to start but remember that ver.2 is more different.

> I'm not sure if dwarf to is completely backward compatible but you
> can reuse large parts of the dwarf 1 code.

You must pay attention on fact that ver.1 is fixed record except for
block data field. In ver.2 all data in ".debug_info" depend on
".debug_abbrev" section. So you must to understand that relation and
try to understand the LEB128 number (read 7.6 paragraph "Variable
length data" and Appendix 4).

Good luck.

Fausto