Re: Theory about DFA's and f?lex start states

chrisd@reservoir.com (Chris Dodd)
9 Nov 2000 16:52:42 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Theory about DFA's and f?lex start states pcj1@my-deja.com (2000-11-09)
Re: Theory about DFA's and f?lex start states broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de (Hans-Bernhard Broeker) (2000-11-09)
Re: Theory about DFA's and f?lex start states chrisd@reservoir.com (2000-11-09)
Re: Theory about DFA's and f?lex start states pcj1@my-deja.com (2000-11-11)
Re: Theory about DFA's and f?lex start states cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (2000-11-14)
Re: Theory about DFA's and f?lex start states joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-11-14)
Re: Theory about DFA's and f?lex start states ucapjab@ucl.ac.uk (Jonathan Barker) (2000-11-14)
Re: Theory about DFA's and f?lex start states frank@gnu.de (2000-11-14)
Re: Theory about DFA's and f?lex start states pcj1@my-deja.com (2000-11-19)

From: chrisd@reservoir.com (Chris Dodd)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Nov 2000 16:52:42 -0500
Posted-Date: 09 Nov 2000 16:52:42 EST

pcj1@my-deja.com wrote:
>However, the implementation I've been working on uses stack
>instructions to maintain the current start_state. Thus, rather than
>lex rules which explicitly say "BEGIN(COMMENT)", it might say
>"PUSH(COMMENT)" and "POP()". I've been describing the automata that
>can be used to recognize such grammars as "Deterministic Pushdown
>Finite Automata" (DPDFA's).
>
>My reason for posting however is to ask if people know of any research
>or investigation into the types of languages that are described by
>flex-like regular grammars (ie the combination of DFA's and STATES). Is
>there theory for this stuff or are multistate lexers just a pragmatic
>incremental improvement on DFA research?

[Its not Arpil 1st is it?]

Yes there's lots of research on these things, though they're usually
referred to as D-PDAs (Deterministic Push Down Automata). They're the
technique used by yacc and similar tools to parse CFGs.

The standard intro textbook on this topic is the Hopcroft & Ullman
automata book (which I don't have right in front of me, or I'd give
you the actual title and ISBN).

Chris Dodd
chrisd@reservoir.com
[Oh, right, it's true, a state machine plus a state stack basically gives
you yacc. -John]