Re: 50 times longer to compile than copy

Sid Ahmed Ali TOUATI <Sid-Ahmed-Ali.TOUATI@inria.fr>
7 Nov 2000 13:04:11 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
50 times longer to compile than copy smnsn@my-deja.com (2000-11-04)
Re: 50 times longer to compile than copy ian@jawssystems.com (2000-11-05)
Re: 50 times longer to compile than copy vii@penguinpowered.com (John Fremlin) (2000-11-05)
Re: 50 times longer to compile than copy s337240@student.uq.edu.au (Trent Waddington) (2000-11-05)
Re: 50 times longer to compile than copy chase@naturalbridge.com (David Chase) (2000-11-07)
Re: 50 times longer to compile than copy Sid-Ahmed-Ali.TOUATI@inria.fr (Sid Ahmed Ali TOUATI) (2000-11-07)
Re: 50 times longer to compile than copy ONeillCJ@logica.com (Conor O'Neill) (2000-11-09)
Re: 50 times longer to compile than copy lex@cc.gatech.edu (Lex Spoon) (2000-11-09)
Re: 50 times longer to compile than copy christl@belinda.fmi.uni-passau.de (2000-11-09)
Re: 50 times longer to compile than copy jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (jacob navia) (2000-11-09)
Re: 50 times longer to compile than copy vbdis@aol.com (2000-11-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Sid Ahmed Ali TOUATI <Sid-Ahmed-Ali.TOUATI@inria.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Nov 2000 13:04:11 -0500

smnsn@my-deja.com wrote:

> [If your program is one huge routine, I'm not surprised that it takes
> a long time to compile. Compilers almost always have some worse than
> linear time parts that make very large routines very slow. It's not
> likely to be the symbol table, though. If you hash your symbol table,
> which everyone does, acess time is O(1). -John]

Theoretically, if you do not use optimization options, the compilation
process should have linear time in function of high level code size.
Parsing, accessing symbols table, type checking, code generation,... can
be done using linear complexity algorithms. However, if you want you
compiler optimizing your code for faster execution, the compile time
certainly increases.

SAAT
[Even without optimization options, there are often worse-than-linear
parts of the compiler, such as the case hash function routine that David
Chase mentioned a few messages ago. -John]