Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth

"Mikael Lyngvig" <mikael@pobox.com>
4 Nov 2000 01:39:09 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth webmaster@mkp.com (2000-10-31)
Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth smoleski@surakware.com (Sebastian Moleski) (2000-11-01)
Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth mikael@pobox.com (Mikael Lyngvig) (2000-11-04)
Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth michael.finney@acm.org (Michael Lee Finney) (2000-11-05)
Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth ollanes@pobox.com (Orlando Llanes) (2000-11-05)
Re: Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth mikael@pobox.com (Mikael Lyngvig) (2000-11-07)
Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth arargh@enteract.com (2000-11-07)
Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth gkt37@dial.pipex.com (jt) (2000-11-07)
Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth jsvendsen@bergen.frisurf.no (2000-11-07)

From: "Mikael Lyngvig" <mikael@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Nov 2000 01:39:09 -0500
Posted-Date: 04 Nov 2000 01:39:09 EST

It could just be a simple question of "being able to adopt to customer
demands".

Case-sensitivity, in file names and programming languages, is
basically a very strange and illogical thing since humans tend to
recognize names that differ solely in case without problems
("seBAStian mOLEski" would probably work, if I wanted to get in touch
with you. Also, you would probably be annoyed if your neighboor
changed his name to "SebastiAn Moleski" claiming that the name had
nothing to do with your name).

The fact that ill-designed languages such as C++, and C to a certain
degree, have indoctrinated programmers to think case-sensitively
should not be blamed upon Mr. Wirth.

Imagine that your mails, delivered via postal service, starts to
bounce because you'd accidentally written "main Street" rather than
"Main Street" (or the postal worker thinks you've written "main"
rather than "Main")...

Case-insensitivity IS the simple solution. You don't have to worry
about case. I don't have to worry about case. We can spend our time
being productive instead...

-- Mikael