[Q] Writing an interpreted network orientated language..

okanec2@conor.com (okane conor)
1 Nov 2000 18:57:02 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[Q] Writing an interpreted network orientated language.. okanec2@conor.com (2000-11-01)
Re: [Q] Writing an interpreted network orientated language.. sexymf@flashmail.com (2000-11-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: okanec2@conor.com (okane conor)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Nov 2000 18:57:02 -0500
Posted-Date: 01 Nov 2000 18:57:02 EST

Hi, I'm new to this group but I've been reading it on and off for a
few months now..

Anyways, I'm a third year student in a computer science course and
we've a project of our own choosing to do and we've about 6 weeks
full-time and a couple of months part-time (i.e. have other course
work as well..) to work on it and I was thinking of writing an
interpretted scripting language which would enable quick and easy
prototyping and testing of client/server models or internet
applications before they're implemented in a lower level language such
as C/C++ ..

I know Rebol does something similar but it's not as nice as I'd like
it to be and I was wondering if I have a chance of coming up with a
relatively simple intrepretter and language for my needs in the time I
mentioned above. There would be two pretty competant programmers
working on it, and I guess it would be in C and probably use lex/flex
and yacc/bison. btw is there any significant difference between
lex/flex and yacc/bison? Also are there any other better compiler
generators out there? What's JavaCC like? Would it suit my needs?

Hope someone can help, If ye reckon it wouldn't be able to be done in
the time then I'll probably look for something easier to do :o) I
haven't really specified the syntax/semantics of the language yet
althouhg hopefully it will be weakly typed and procedural, with a
similarity to C.

Newbie..