Re: Frontend for C with gcc extensions

vbdis@aol.com (VBDis)
1 Oct 2000 00:28:15 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Frontend for C with gcc extensions ruff@mcst.ru (Andrey S. Bokhanko) (2000-09-28)
Re: Frontend for C with gcc extensions pfaffben@msu.edu (Ben Pfaff) (2000-10-01)
Re: Frontend for C with gcc extensions vii@altern.org (John Fremlin) (2000-10-01)
Re: Frontend for C with gcc extensions vbdis@aol.com (2000-10-01)
Re: Frontend for C with gcc extensions rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers) (2000-10-06)
Re: Frontend for C with gcc extensions plakal@cs.wisc.edu (2000-10-06)
Re: Frontend for C with gcc extensions dann@godzilla.ics.uci.edu (Dan Nicolaescu) (2000-10-06)
Re: Frontend for C with gcc extensions freitag@alancoxonachip.com (Andi Kleen) (2000-10-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: vbdis@aol.com (VBDis)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Oct 2000 00:28:15 -0400

"Andrey S. Bokhanko" <ruff@mcst.ru> schreibt:

>The obvious answer -- gcc frontend itself doesn't count, because it's
>not frontend in traditional sence -- it's rather an inextricable mix
>of frontend and backend.

How do you distinguish a frontend from anything else?

IMO you can strip all "backend" code off the gcc sources, in order to
obtain the desired "frontend". Of course some prodcedures must be
replaced or introduced, to create the desired output of the frontend.

As mentioned in another thread, a modern preprocessor (frontend?) can
not easily be separated from the according compiler (backend). When
e.g. your frontend should handle sizeof() expressions in conditional
statements, then it also must understand any type declarations in the
source code.

If you only want to translate gcc sources into source code for another
compiler, then you may not find such a tool in general. I often wished
only to know how to set the several BERKLEY... switches, in order to
make any other (non-Unix) compiler accept GNU source code :-(

DoDi