Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration)

etoffi@bigfoot.com
21 Sep 2000 18:14:42 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-09-17)
Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) vbdis@aol.com (2000-09-17)
Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk (2000-09-21)
Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) genew@shuswap.net (2000-09-21)
Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-09-21)
Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) etoffi@bigfoot.com (2000-09-21)
Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) rhyde@cs.ucr.edu (Randall Hyde) (2000-09-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: etoffi@bigfoot.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Sep 2000 18:14:42 -0400

    "Joachim Durchholz" <joachim.durchholz@gmx.de> wrote:
> William Rayer <lingolanguage@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What I am asking is, [... are] there even higher level features
> > that we could put into a new language that would produce a similar
> > order of improvement?

I Think That Many Languages Are Designed With Disgust Of C++ In
Mind. That Is, That Not Too Many Provide Features That C++ Doesnt
Have. Eiffel Comes To Mind As A Language That Actually Adds Something
- Design By Contract. Dbc Might Be A Solution The Assertion Problem
Stated Below ...

> > Or are there "wish lists" of things that people would like to see in
> > langauges? Again I realize you can't design a language just by joining
> > up lots of nice features, and I realize the harder task is to make the
> > features work together properly. But this post is about looking for
> > ideas, not implementations.

What My C3 Spec Proposes Is The Addition Of Features To C That I Have Found
Useful In Other Languages:

* Type Coersion
* Built In Lists And Dictionaries
* Generic Programming (Ie Templates)
* Operator Overloading (Basically Adding Strings)