Re: Event based language, does it exist?

Peter Stevens <henter@wxs.nl>
21 Sep 2000 18:08:06 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Event based language, does it exist? burow@ifh.de (Burkhard Dietrich Burow) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? mwh@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de (Martin von Loewis) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? Norman_member@newsguy.com (Norman Culver) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? cbbrowne@acm.org (2000-09-15)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? henter@wxs.nl (Peter Stevens) (2000-09-21)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? lex@cc.gatech.edu (Lex Spoon) (2000-09-21)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? trollet@skynet.be (Atle) (2000-10-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? rog@vitanuova.com (2000-10-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Peter Stevens <henter@wxs.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.misc
Date: 21 Sep 2000 18:08:06 -0400

Around 13 years ago there was a small UK based company, called ASA
that had developed a language called AUTO-G that was based on
SDL. They took on a bit too much, instead of just building a nice
compiler for it, it came with a graphical editor ( this was 1988 my
friends) and several other tools. Needless to say that it was too
big. Our 3B2 with 8Mb (yes....) could not handle it with 10
users. There were also too many bugs. We had to stop it.

But, we still liked the idea of an event driven environment, so we
built in 4 weeks a pre compiler that generated C code, using a tool
called META-TOOL. And we could send messages, receive them, create
timers, expire them etc.. The processes had states in which they could
receive certain messages. If the message was not expected, it was
discarded, unless you were in a substate. Basically, it did all the
things an event driven language should do.

Peter Stevens