porting gcc

bm216754@muenchen.org (Juergen Fischer)
15 Sep 2000 01:34:01 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
porting gcc bm216754@muenchen.org (2000-09-15)
Re: porting gcc jeff.sturm@appnet.com (Jeff Sturm) (2000-09-17)
Re: porting gcc msnw31175@cableinet.co.uk (Michael A. Sewell) (2000-09-17)
Re: porting gcc bonzini@gnu.org (2000-09-17)
Re: porting gcc bm216754@muenchen.org (2000-09-28)
Re: porting gcc thp@roam-thp2.cs.ucr.edu (Tom Payne) (2000-10-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: bm216754@muenchen.org (Juergen Fischer)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Sep 2000 01:34:01 -0400

Hello,
I want to port gcc to my virtual machine. which actually doesn't exist
yet, maybe its design will depend on what gcc is capable of.

is RTL able to generate code to any C-able machine ?
I hope I will be presented int n=*p++; in some abstract
"pointer-plusplus"-token/struct, not in a "risc"
MOVB R0,[R1]; ADD R1,4 ? able to cover C-able machines such as for
example char* being different adresspattern than int* ?
I guess what I am trying to ask is whether the backend programmer got
full abstract C type information.

"location/version" questions arise:

- actually I want g++. assuming a g++ port, is the result any use for
porting gcc? are they "RTL-compatible" ?
- I'd like latest stable/widely used but not experimental version. are
various (minor?) versions "RTL compatible" ?
- I need win32 executable gcc to start with.

actually my first step problem is to download the right set of
source/executable packages to start with. and the "how to port gcc"
manual I heard about but searchengines don't find...

please advice URLs. leanest size packages if possible (does it contain
machinedescriptionfiles for all cpus? an example, say 68000, maybe
would be helpful).