Re: Compiler types?

AndrewJ <luminous-is@home.com>
15 Sep 2000 01:31:37 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler types? cwerner@gmx.de (Constantin Werner) (2000-09-11)
Re: Compiler types? luminous-is@home.com (AndrewJ) (2000-09-15)
Re: Compiler types? genew@shuswap.net (2000-09-17)
Re: Compiler types? mac@ac.valley.net (2000-09-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: AndrewJ <luminous-is@home.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Sep 2000 01:31:37 -0400

On 11 Sep 2000 02:16:48 -0400, "Constantin Werner" <cwerner@gmx.de> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>the types of compilers are classified in:
>- one-pass compilers
>- multi-pass compilers
>- load and go compiler
>- optimizing compilers
>- ...and some other
>
>can anybody tell me whats the difference between all mentioned 4 compiler
>types? i was not able to find any explanation in science books :-(
>thanks

While I'm no expert of compiler methods and such, even I'm able to
realize what most of these describe.

One pass compiler: a compiler that translates the source unit in a
single pass

Multi pass compiler: a compiler that translates the source unit in two
or more passes

Load and go compiler: not sure, never seen this terminology, unless
you're talking about an interpreter

Optimizing compiler: a compiler that optimizes the translated code,
usually during the code generation phase (?)... it makes the code run
better on the particular architecture it is compiling for (ie using
shifts instead of multiplies, loop unrolling etc...)
--
AndrewJ
[Load and go compiles directly into memory and immediately runs the code.