Brand new tech: lookahead parser generator

Mike Schuler <maxmike@dbsurfer.com>
8 Sep 2000 01:54:59 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Brand new tech: lookahead parser generator maxmike@dbsurfer.com (Mike Schuler) (2000-09-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Mike Schuler <maxmike@dbsurfer.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Sep 2000 01:54:59 -0400

A lookahead parser generator as we designed it (and as we define it)
is a C-callable function that accepts an LALR BNF during
initialization and thereafter delivers a set of valid input
tokens. Upon being called with one of these tokens as input, the cycle
repeats until a rule has been seen. If the rule can be extended, or is
recursive, then additional tokens are optionally requested.

What this does is effectively give you token-level control over the
sequencing of the parser, at a technical level. From a design point of
view it lets you build languages that only need semantic
documentation, because it is impossible for their users to make
syntatic errors. Even more interesting, it lets you build context
sensitive grammars with standard BNF notation. These grammars can be
dynamically embellished since your program intercepts the terminal
tokens before the user sees them.

What I'd like to know is if there is a demand for this stuff in the
form of a Java server bean. I've already got a Java version written -
just need to beanify it.

--
Mike Schuler