syntax-directed editing

Alexander Stippler <stip@mathematik.uni-ulm.de>
27 Aug 2000 22:18:45 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
syntax-directed editing stip@mathematik.uni-ulm.de (Alexander Stippler) (2000-08-27)
Re: syntax-directed editing qjackson@home.com (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2000-09-07)
Re: syntax-directed editing maratb@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Marat Boshernitsan) (2000-09-08)
Re: syntax-directed editing neelk@brick.cswv.com (2000-09-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Alexander Stippler <stip@mathematik.uni-ulm.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Aug 2000 22:18:45 -0400

Hello,

I've got an AST representation of a java package/file and a textual
representation of this file. This file should be editable and the AST
thus has to be updated at least every time the file is saved. How can
I manage this rebuilding as little as possible of the AST and how can
I do it at all? Do you know some introducing papers or other
materials on this topic?

Thanks in advance.
Alexander Stippler
[There was a series of articles in the JCLT on an incremental compiler
that incrementally updated the parse tree. If the text is stored in a
tokenized form, I'd guess that reparsing is fast enough that it's
not worth a lot of work to avoid. -John]