Wanted: Register Assignemnt Algorithm for a DAG

"Don Mackay" <donald.mackay@compaq.com>
27 Jul 2000 21:32:37 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Wanted: Register Assignemnt Algorithm for a DAG donald.mackay@compaq.com (Don Mackay) (2000-07-27)
Re: Wanted: Register Assignemnt Algorithm for a DAG anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2000-07-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Don Mackay" <donald.mackay@compaq.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Jul 2000 21:32:37 -0400

I have been using the ideas/algorithms from the 'Dragon Book' and have got
to the stage of creating a DAG representation of my code. I now want to
assign registers to the various nodes (ie this is the start of the 'back-end
specific stuff - I'm targeting the x86 processors at this stage).

The 'Dragon Book' shows an algorithm that works with a DAG that only has
single parent nodes (ie is a tree) [at least that's the way I understand
it!!!].

Can someone please describe/provide a pointer to an algorithm that will
allocate a (variable sized?) set of general purpose registers to the nodes
of a general DAG?

Thanks

Don Mackay