Re: AST for several modules

vugluskr@unicorn.math.spbu.ru (Roman Shaposhnick)
18 Jul 2000 13:06:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: AST for several modules rod.bates@wichita.boeing.com (Rodney M. Bates) (2000-06-14)
Re: AST for several modules cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (2000-06-14)
Re: AST for several modules iank@idiom.com (2000-06-14)
Re: AST for several modules danwang+news@cs.princeton.edu (Daniel C. Wang) (2000-06-20)
Re: AST for several modules Andreas.Ames@Tenovis.com (Andreas Ames) (2000-06-20)
Re: AST for several modules joachim.durchholz@halstenbach.com.or.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-06-20)
Re: AST for several modules vugluskr@unicorn.math.spbu.ru (2000-07-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: vugluskr@unicorn.math.spbu.ru (Roman Shaposhnick)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Jul 2000 13:06:02 -0400

On 20 Jun 2000 02:41:40 -0400, Andreas Ames wrote:
>I'm very interested in intermediate languages other than ASTs
>applicable to a possibly great range of programming languages and
>independent of a particular compiler backend. In my case this
>interest is not optimizing but related to reengineering. Such an IL
>could possibly be a very useful foundation for an analyzer tool/suite
>that is independent of the programming language and even for a
>translator from one programming language to another. Some time ago (
>about a year or so ) I've asked exactly this question in
>comp.compilers if there were resources concerning such multi-language
>ILs because the dragon book seems to mention that experiments with
>such ILs were not all too successful. unfortunately then i got no
>answers.

    I would like to mention one more source of information from the famous
series "Lecture Notes in Computer Science". IIRC, it is being called
"Source-to-source translation" or "Grammar Inversion and Source-To-Source
Translation" nevertheless it has a lot of interesting ( but probably
old ) approaches to the topic.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. Consider this as my 2 cents. :)