Re: x86 code generation

napi@col31.mimos.my (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
20 Jun 2000 02:51:05 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
x86 code generation nicks@3drealms.com (Nick Shaffner) (2000-06-14)
Re: x86 code generation mlross@jf.intel.com (2000-06-20)
Re: x86 code generation jkahrs@castor.atlas.de (Juergen Kahrs) (2000-06-20)
Re: x86 code generation napi@col31.mimos.my (2000-06-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: napi@col31.mimos.my (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Jun 2000 02:51:05 -0400

Nick Shaffner <nicks@3drealms.com> wrote:
> Anyone know where I can get some good information on code
>generation stratagies for x86 (thinking Pentium+) specific processors?

You would be able to learn a lot about x86 code generation by
analyzing the GNU gcc compiler for the x86. I re-targeted a C
compiler that I wrote to the x86 (80386 to be more specific), and the
gcc compiler was handy. Now you would ask why would I wrote another
compiler for the x86 when gcc was available. Well, just for fun since
I had a compiler that I wrote from scratch over the years and to see
it work on an x86 running Linux was great.

Napi