Re: Stack based machines

dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu (David Starner)
25 Mar 2000 02:30:22 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Stack based machines thand@pmail.net (Linus Thand) (2000-03-23)
Re: Stack based machines plakal@cs.wisc.edu (2000-03-23)
Re: Stack based machines dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu (2000-03-25)
Re: Stack based machines pieter@cs.kun.nl (Pieter Koopman) (2000-03-25)
Re: Stack based machines galexand@sietch.bloomington.in.us (2000-03-25)
Re: Stack based machines bonzini@my-deja.com (2000-03-25)
Re: Stack based machines gneuner@dyn.com (2000-03-25)
Re: Stack based machines dxj@mnsinc.com (Deepak Janardhanan) (2000-03-25)
Re: Stack based machines koopman@cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (2000-03-25)

From: dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu (David Starner)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Mar 2000 02:30:22 -0500

On 23 Mar 2000 22:26:21 -0500,
  Linus Thand <thand@pmail.net> wrote:
>Are there any active groups working on processors or
>compilers (I'm especially interested in functional languages).
>
>[Other than forth, not much I'm aware of. Registers give an architecture
>a big performance boost, and it's hard to fake that by caching to top of
>the stack. -John]

The JVM is a stack based virtual machine, for which you can find many
compilers to (Moscow ML comes to mind for functional languages.)

The PicoJava II is a processor that runs the JVM ISA, and hence is
stack based. According to Structured Computer Organization by
Tannebaum, it does instruction folding combined with a large number of
internal registers to get around the stack problems. (If you're
looking for information on the level of an undergraduate textbook on
general computer systems, it also has nice information about the
design of stack based chip.)
--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org