Re: methods used by compilers for switch{ case } statements?

Andrew Tucker <ast@halcyon.com>
6 Mar 2000 01:09:02 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
methods used by compilers for switch{ case } statements? mathog@seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu (2000-03-03)
Re: methods used by compilers for switch{ case } statements? ast@halcyon.com (Andrew Tucker) (2000-03-06)
Re: methods used by compilers for switch{ case } statements? rhyde@shoe-size.com (Randall Hyde) (2000-03-06)
Re: methods used by compilers for switch{ case } statements? lehotsky@tiac.net (Alan Lehotsky) (2000-03-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Andrew Tucker <ast@halcyon.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Mar 2000 01:09:02 -0500

Fraser and Hanson's book "A Retargetable C Compiler: Design and
Implementation" has a good discussion of some of these issues.

Here's a list of resources from an 1997 comp.compilers post by
Steve Walk. I saved it just for situations such as this!

%A Sampath Kannan
%A Todd A. Proebsting
%T "Correction to 'Producing Good Code for the Case Statement'"
%J Software - Practice & Experience
%D 1994
%M February
%K Case Statement

%A Robert Bernstein
%T "Producing Good code for the Case Statement"
%J Software - Practice & Experience
%V 15
%N 10
%M October
%D 1985
%P 1021-1024
%K Case Statement

%A John L. Hennessy
%A Noah Mendelsohn
%T "Compilation of the Pascal Case Statement"
%J Software - Practice and Experience
%V 12
%N 9
%M September
%D 1982
%P 879-882
%K PASCAL
%K Case Statement

%A A. Sale
%T "The Implementation of Case Statements in PACAL"
%J Software - Practice & Experience
%V 11
%D 1981
%P 929-942
%K Case Statement

%A D. A. Spuler
%T "Compiler Code Generation for Multiway Branch Statements
                as a Static Search Problem"
%G Technical Report 94/03
%M January
%D 1994
%I Department of Computer Science, James Cook University, Australia
%K Case Stateme

mathog@seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu wrote:
: Can someone please point me to an online reference which describes the
: mechanism(s) compilers use to implement the switch/case statement in
: C?

/* Andrew */
WWW: http://www.halcyon.com/ast
Email: ast@halcyon.com