Re: size of parse table?

"Charles E. Bortle, Jr." <cbrtjr@ix.netcom.com>
16 Feb 2000 23:43:49 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
size of parse table? bob_jenkins@burtleburtle.net (2000-01-21)
Re: size of parse table? cbrtjr@ix.netcom.com (Charles E. Bortle, Jr.) (2000-02-05)
Re: size of parse table? world!cfc@uunet.uu.net (Chris F Clark) (2000-02-05)
Re: size of parse table? grosch@cocolab.de (2000-02-15)
Re: size of parse table? cbrtjr@ix.netcom.com (Charles E. Bortle, Jr.) (2000-02-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Charles E. Bortle, Jr." <cbrtjr@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Feb 2000 23:43:49 -0500

Hello,

Also, today's modern machines may provide, say 64M to 128M of memory,
but if the user of our compiler is running Windows or NT, for
instance, he/she may not appreciate our using a _large_ chuck of this,
when it may limit the number of other tasks that can efficiently be
run. (Virtual memory is a lot slower, of course, than RAM and even
disk space for the VM runs out at some point, not to mention the
paging overhead :-(

And, of course, those tables not only take memory space while the
compiler is running, but take up disk space in the module as it
resides on disk. High capacity of modern disk technology is not an
execuse to waste disk real estate.

Of course, these things are not cut in stone...it must always be a
trade-off based on weighing the resources against the goals of the
compiler project :-) (And, of course, the capabilities of the tools
available to the compiler writer!)

Of course there is another axiom to consider: Make it right, then make
it smaller; Make it right, then make it faster :-)

--
Charles cbrtjr@ix.netcom.com
* http://pw2.netcom.com/~cbrtjr/wrdthing.html *