Re: Regex -> DFA ->? Lex compiler

"Jonathan Barker" <jandk@easynet.co.uk>
10 Feb 2000 01:12:54 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Regex -> DFA ->? Lex compiler johnston.p@worldnet.att.net (Paul Johnston) (2000-02-05)
Re: Regex -> DFA ->? Lex compiler webid@asi.fr (Armel) (2000-02-10)
Re: Regex -> DFA ->? Lex compiler jandk@easynet.co.uk (Jonathan Barker) (2000-02-10)
Re: Regex -> DFA ->? Lex compiler torbenm@diku.dk (2000-02-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Jonathan Barker" <jandk@easynet.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Feb 2000 01:12:54 -0500

Paul

If your expressions are E1,E2,...,En, construct the expression

      e = (E1 #1) | (E2 #2) | ... | (En #n)

where #1,...,#n are unique symbols (not in the input alphabet).
Construct the DFA from this expression. Now any state of your DFA
which has a transition on #k (where k is one of 1,...,n) represents a
state in which a match of Ek has been seen.

You obviously enjoy figuring it out for yourself so I'll leave
out the rest of the details...

Jonathan

Paul Johnston <johnston.p@worldnet.att.net> wrote