Re: Grammar ambiguity

"Ira D. Baxter" <idbaxter@semdesigns.com>
10 Feb 2000 01:10:27 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Grammar ambiguity joachim.durchholz@halstenbach.com.or.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-02-05)
Re: Grammar ambiguity idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira D. Baxter) (2000-02-10)
Re: Grammar ambiguity rsherry@home.com (Robert Sherry) (2000-02-10)
Re: Grammar ambiguity j.coulmance@itecor.com (Jocelyn Coulmance) (2000-02-12)
Re: grammar ambiguity world!cfc@uunet.uu.net (Chris F Clark) (2000-02-12)
Re: Grammar ambiguity joachim.durchholz@halstenbach.com.or.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-02-12)
Re: grammar ambiguity compres@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (2000-02-12)
Re: Grammar ambiguity cbrtjr@ix.netcom.com (Charles E. Bortle, Jr.) (2000-02-13)

From: "Ira D. Baxter" <idbaxter@semdesigns.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Feb 2000 01:10:27 -0500

The DMS Reengineering Toolkit may offer what you need.
http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSToolkit.html. It come
equipped with a GLR parser generator, so it can parse languages with
local ambiguities (even unbounded lookahead). A nice property of GLR
grammars is that it takes very little effort to get a "reference"
grammar to act as a useful parser. As an example, we put the
Fortran90 grammar almost directly into DMS, in spite of considerably
ambiguities present in expressions with respect to element accesses.

The parser generator tool itself has a built-in heuristic ambiguity
checker; it attempts to find terminal strings leading to ambiguous
parses.

-- IDB