Re: Dynamic Binding

scorp@btinternet.com (Dave Harris)
19 Jan 2000 01:10:36 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Dynamic Binding raugfer@uol.com.br (Rodrigo Augusto B. Ferreira) (2000-01-15)
Re: Dynamic Binding anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2000-01-19)
Re: Dynamic Binding scorp@btinternet.com (2000-01-19)
Re: Dynamic Binding eernst@cs.auc.dk (Erik Ernst) (2000-01-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: scorp@btinternet.com (Dave Harris)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Jan 2000 01:10:36 -0500

> I was wondering if using dynamic type resolution, by compiling a
> lookup switch statement for each virtual call, would be valuable to
> increase the possibility of optimization.

I believe that is roughly the approach used by the SmallEiffel compiler.
(I don't have an URL but a web search should find references.)

They say it works pretty well. Instead of a "switch" they have a binary
tree of "if/else" statements. Apparently these are more suited to some
branch prediction hardware than an indirect branch.

> Any pointers and oppinions are welcome.

You might also be interested in run-time type-feedback techniques. There
are some relevant papers using the Self language, at
http://self.sunlabs.com/.

    Dave Harris, Nottingham, UK
            brangdon@cix.co.uk

  http://www.bhresearch.co.uk/